Green house gases and global warming

Introduction to Greenhouse gases 

Every year the temperature of the earth is rising in an unnoticeable way. Environmental scientists have predicted that, if global warming continued to rise at this pace, many species reach extinction becasue of heat sensitivity. Natural resources undergo a profound depletion in an unnatural manner.  There are many factors surrounding global warming but the temperature of the earth is closely linked with the green gas effect. Green gas effect is the effect of a combination of factors such as water vapour, carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, ozone and some artificial chemicals such as chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs). As a result of the accumulation of abnormal gases, heat cannot distribute evenly across the world. The heat-trapping mechanism accelerates the temperature in a rapid manner. The following post discusses the basic concepts of green gas effects and global warming. "A green gas phenomenon works like a greenhouse that allows only sunlight inside but doesn’t allow it to escape, as a result, the temperature inside the house remains warm to encourage photosynthesis. It is also imp[ortnat to understand the fact that green gas effect essential for our survival, becasue temperatures, would have dropped well below 120 in the absence of green gases. But unfortunately, in recent days, uncontrolled human activities have triggered the atmospheric temperature beyoned 50oC. This is known as global warming. In order to understand global warming, it is necessary to become familiar with the greenhouse gas effects at first. Earth is being bombarded with high-intensity UV radiation, this is, even more, stronger in some temperate regions. UV rays are the form of sunlight energy, direct exposure of skin to UV rays is harmful.  UV radiation has a shorter wavelength and high energy level causing heatstroke. 30% of the radiation that hits the earth’s surface will be immediately reflected back to space and the rest of the 70%  heat enter into the oceans and the atmosphere. An imbalance in the amount of heat transfer causes the greenhouse effect( more heat is absorbed and the less heat is reflected back).

 

Process of greenhouse gas formation and global warming      

Greenhouse gases and global warming

The UV rays are absorbed by the gas molecules in a trap . The resulting heat produces a drastic climatic change. The combination of heat and gases together known as greenhouse gases. Furthermore, the heated gases combine with the CO2  to escalate the temperature beyoned limits. In addition to CO2, some of the factors that trigger the earth`s temperature are water vapour, methane, nitrous oxide (N2O) and CFCs( chlorofluorocarbons).CGCs are abundantly used in refrigerators and Airconditioners.  The pie chart below depicts the proportion of various gases that form the greenhouse gases.

 

Managing greenhouse gas effects

  1.  Plant more plants and grow some trees as a part of the routine.

  2.  Use fuel-efficient cars, eco-friendly vehicles and gas engine vehicles instead of carbon emitted diesel and petrol ones.

  3. Use of public transport, mass transit, cycles that have no motors, traditional horse carts.

  4. Use more efficient home appliances.

  5. Use fluorescent light sources (tube lights) rather than filament sources that produce an excess of heat.

  6.  Impose legal action against the deforestation.

  7. Most importantly, educate the general public about all these.

 



img-1

img-1

img-1

Course List